Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinebI0HaZ

Small hydro grow in fridge
    #241066 - 06/19/09 09:02 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I've recently been thinking of making a fridge grow set up happening sometime at end of the year. Since I'm moving into an appartment I would like to keep the next set up more stealthy then what I have had before (I have done a couple of organic soil grows, but not many).  While thinking about designs on my own I just wasn't sure what to conclude on till I found this. http://www.homegrown-hydroponics.com/regrboaircoh.html
Of course I don't intend on buying something like that and still will make my own but with a taller 2 door fridge with a small section on the bottom for veg.  But I would like to mainly focus this post on the flowering section for now.  Please keep in mind that the grow space will be a little taller then the one in the link.
I have some questions on what I can possibly improve on this set up.
Firstly the lights and ventilation.  Should I consider a 250w or more??  If I increase ventilation and add bigger lights, would it help improve quality or yield?  To give you an idea I am thinking up to 4 x 120mm computer fans for intake and same for exhaust.  They will be doing up to 130 CMF each.  This could be controlled by a fan bus which I will hide somewhere inside the door.  If I can have this hoover like ventilation what kind of light can it support??  Sound could be an issue but the 130 CMF would be kept for the hotter days as a "just in case".  I may even consider a temp controlled fan bus if it would make things easier.  I am also not interested in CFLs because I have had nice growth on my last 400w HPS (I can't use this in the set up since it doesn't belong to me now).
I might have to add I am new to hydro.  I have no idea how this system in the pic works?  Lets say I place the seeds into the rock wool that's soaked thats placed into the hydroton rocks how does the plants get watered?  Does the media stay soaked in the nutirents constantly?  Does the air pump and air stones give enough air for the roots not to rot?  I'm thinking I have miss understood something.  I have only read up a little on the dripping one as I thought that is what I would be using (and am still considering).  I don't think I will truly understand until I make the system.  I will like to do an hydro organic grow and I will read more on it to have a good idea before destroying some poor seeds. 
Talking about seeds what strains  would best suit this environment?  I will be buying seeds in bulk when I start of about 10 x 10 strains. I would like to enjoy a selection if I can.
Yield?  How much would this system make for me if I do a scrog on this?  It is possible to scrog on hydro too?  I hope so.  I like the looks of that.  I would like to cater for strictly two people that will only enjoy it at night.  I would say we are medium level smokers that do about 1 oz a month (together) so if I can have at least 2 oz per cycle that would be amazing.  Would this fridge be able to be our only source of smokey happiness?

That would be most of the questions, if I can have any advice it would be greatly appreciated as well thanks.

bI0HaZ

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineIntegra21
Up and coming Farmer

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Small hydro grow in fridge [Re: bI0HaZ]
    #244615 - 06/30/09 12:59 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

We will start out with the hydro. Deep Water Culture Hydro is a plant in a netpot suspended above a res of nutrients. You fill the nutrient tub till it is just below the bottoms of the buckets. As the roots grow out of the netpots, They dangle down into the nutrient solution, and then stay submerged all the time, with their lifeline being the airstone. As long as the water is constantly oxygenated, the roots will be healthy and not rot. As the Plants drink up water and nutrients, you will want to fill the res back up with either more mixed nutrients or water, but with my experiance, its always food. Then, about once a week, or until you have replaced the nutrients in the res(if 5gal, then you have filled it with 5 gal that the plant has used, its time to change the solution out with a fresh batch. It sounds a little complicated but it is really just a plant sitting in a tub of nutrients with an air stone in it. Here are some pics of mine.

And as far as i'm concerned, Scrog is the only way to go when height is restricted. You can get very good yeild this way, espcially when using hydro.I would also recommend air cooling your light. You might even be able to get away with hooking your light up to your exhaust fan if it is running whenever the light is on and use it to cool your light and be the exhaust duct, since it will be at the highes piont in the fridge where all of the heat builds. Just a thought. And with a 1-2sqft screen and some practice, you could easily get 2 ounces. Dont expect it the first run, but with practice, is an easily acheiveable goal. Good Luck, and keep us updated. Any questions feel free to ask. I leave you with some pics of my dwc scrog in a 3ft 4in room.

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Loc: Hawaiian Islands Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Small hydro grow in fridge [Re: Integra21]
    #244620 - 06/30/09 01:30 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Boy, you sure have a nice crop Integra21

Your pictures always make me drool!

--------------------

:guns: Don't Mistake My Kindness For Weakness :guns:

OfflineIntegra21
Up and coming Farmer

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Small hydro grow in fridge [Re: SpaceMonkey]
    #244650 - 06/30/09 02:50 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

you and me both. You have any idea how hard it is to not go in there and harves early just cause I have nothing to smoke.

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Small hydro grow in fridge [Re: Integra21]
    #244661 - 06/30/09 03:13 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

ohhh buddddy , do i ever!!!

--------------------

OfflinebI0HaZ

#250573 - 07/17/09 05:18 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Hello Guys Thank you for the advice, (I didn't check this for so long..) I have taken it and finally made Fridge mk1.  This is mainly for practice since I found all the things I need, so I thought I will practice making it before making my serious one.  I will make the hydro section for Fridge mk2 but this will be done a little while later.  I have read more on hydro now and I have decided on having a tall fridge with 2 levels for mk2. The bottom being the little airo cloner/mother box.  The top will have the DWC system.  I will post pics when I have this set up but that will be a while.  I do understand the space I am working with will be tight and may have to make chages to my plan, but I think this may be do able.

This is fridge mk1 at the moment:

I think it's not a bad effort as the temps are good, since it's quite cool in the garage.  If the ambient temp gets anymore then now I will have to install another fan and also a fan controller so airflow can be adjusted.  Now that I have a rough idea of how this is going to work I really look forward to making the next one.  I dont see this being too hard.  Please keep in mind that it is a 400w HPS in there.  And before someone mentions it, the lights are going to be put on a chain soon, as well as attaching a little filter.  I was just a bit lazy.
If you have any suggestions to improve my set up, I am interested.

bI0HaZ

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #250853 - 07/17/09 06:58 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Looks pretty neat!

Now you need to line it with foil or something reflective and get a reflector for your light. stealthy kinda grow area, does it still have a seal around the door? So not too interrupt light cycles?

--------------------

OfflinebI0HaZ

#251011 - 07/18/09 09:41 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

SpaceMonkey said:
Looks pretty neat!

Now you need to line it with foil or something reflective and get a reflector for your light. stealthy kinda grow area, does it still have a seal around the door? So not too interrupt light cycles?

Thank you.
I have lined half of it with panda film for now, and in the mk2 I hope to have mylar everywhere!  The seals are quite intact.  I also need to make a box for the venting on the back to stop light getting in and out, but keep airflow.
It's good that I have one fridge to practice with now.  I can find the weak points on this design, to improve on the next.

Offlineazshroomer
Medical Marijuana Cultivator

Loc: Nor-Cal
    #251227 - 07/18/09 08:44 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

For your air in/out use dryer vents and cycle your fans. Say 10 mins on every 30 mins.

Dryer vents only open when air is coming through them and are shielded so even when open it will reduce light.

Cycling the fans is smart because then any light that does make is only there for 20 mins out of every hour.

--------------------
Check out my Grow The Growery teks!
:gethigh: Building Your Grow Room:gethigh:
:gethigh: Make Your Own Aeroponic Cloner:gethigh:
:gethigh: Make Your Own Aeroponic Veg System:gethigh:
:gethigh: Make Your Own True Grow Room:gethigh:
:gethigh: Make Your Own Aeroponic Flower System (COMING SOON):gethigh:

OfflinebI0HaZ

Re: Small hydro grow in fridge [Re: azshroomer]
    #251284 - 07/19/09 06:10 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

That is a interesting idea.  Thank you, but I believe believe I will have to keep the fans going when ever the light is on.  The 400w in that small about of space brings nice light but quite a bit of heat.  I think in the end I will have some sort of dust filter plus the box.  I think this should stop most light without restricting airflow.
Also I have thought about the fact that I am using 1000rpm 120mm fans.  I think with a 2000rpm would be perfect with a fan controller.  I just hope it will be able to handle the hottest days of summer.  I will just have to try it to find out, then modify it till it works.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom